Job Applications for the 2020 Season
Go Live on January 8, 2020
Summer Employment Opportunities
The following information may help you decide if a summer in camping ministry at LOMC is for you.
The Purpose of Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center is to be the Church in outdoor settings, nurturing Christian faith and providing experiences connecting the Word of God with the World of God.
A summer of camping ministry is highly rewarding and challenging!
- Work within an intentional community in which you are responsible to one another.
- Gain valuable skills in problem solving as you help children, youth and adults navigate their summer camp experience.
- Respond to rapidly changing weather and other environment challenges.
- Experience helping children and youth with experiences that challenge you to be creative in your planning, response, and spontaneity.
Prayerfully consider the following information as it helps you decide if camping ministry at LOMC is for you:
- Are you a person of Christian faith?
- It is not a requirement that you are Lutheran, but rather, that you personally can share from your Christian faith in the grace of God given to us in Jesus Christ, a faith guided by God's Word in the Bible.
- Camping ministry focuses on teaching youth and families about Christ in the outdoors, and sharing Gods love.
You must have a passion for:
- Children and Youth: Are you interested and willing to work with small groups of youth in grades K-12? (Campers are grouped according to similar age groups).
- Jesus Christ: Are you Christian and willing to learn more about your faith? To teach the beliefs of Lutheran Christians to youth? You don’t need to be a Biblical scholar, but rather, be willing to learn, grow, and be challenged in your faith.
- Nature: Almost all of the above takes place in an outdoor setting. Although you may sleep in a retreat house one week, you may be in a tent the next. Connecting the natural and physical world with the Word of God is central to the ministry of LOMC so you’ll be outside!
- Healthy lifestyles: LOMC is a drug- and alcohol-free camp.
Camp experience is helpful but not necessary. Please see the job descriptions for specific qualifications needed.
Benefits of working at LOMC
A summer working at a camp can be compared to no other! The experiences you will have, the community you will become an important part of, and the lives you will touch will become a lifelong part of your own story. LOMC provides training (first aid and AED/CPR certification and optional lifeguard certification), workers’ compensation, and supplementary insurance. Our summer staff members are paid weekly. (Please talk to Program Director for specific details on salary).
2020 Employment Notes
- May 26-July 31, 2020
- (additional weeks may be available to work on a limited basis)
- Employment includes an extensive paid two-week training in leadership, bible study, outdoor education, team building, youth ministry, adventure skills- zip line, canoeing, overnight camp-outs, and personal growth. The two-week training does not include the positions of Pool Manager, Road Runner, Lifeguard, or Media Specialist. Training for these positions will be held on a 1 or 2 day scheduled event.
- Staff 18 years and older are welcome to remain at camp over the weekends. There are opportunities to earn extra weekend income or just stay to relax. Staff under 18 years will be required to leave camp Friday evening and return Sunday.
- Weekend hours are approximately 8:00 pm Friday evening until Sunday at 12:30 pm.
- You receive a two hour break every day and all meals and housing are provided.